12.02.2009

BACK TO SCHOOL.

After a long and relaxing Thanksgiving break, I somehow managed to make it to my first class of the week. It felt like I haven't been in school for 30 days, and listening to a lecture was the last thing I wanted to do. But my marketing lecture today was actually rather interesting. The entire lecture focused on "Marketing and children," and how marketers directly target kids. It was based on 3 solid reasons. Number one being, (1)that kids have their own money to spend. You know like...allowance, and money from grandma and grandpa. Number two (2)kids are the consumers of tomorrow. This is where marketers get the kids hooked on a product while they're super young, in hopes that they become brand loyal for the rest of their lives. I'm actually guilty because I've been eating flamin' hot cheetos ever since the 4th grade. (Surprised they've even been out that long.) And number three (3) kids influence purchasing decisions for the entire family. An unhappy kid leads to unhappy parents. A lot of parents give in and just buy for their children whatever it is that they want. Kids are such an easy target. They watch tv ALL DAY. The average 8-13 year old watches 3.5 hours of television per day, and roughly 40,000 commercials per year. Anyways, this is the clip that my professor showed to the class. He always makes it interesting hah.


Turn your volume down, this kid is annoying.





No comments:

Post a Comment